Friday, November 14, 2008

Pacing yourself on the job hunt

Everyone approaches the job hunt differently. I tend to get really excited at the thought of a new and exciting career so my energy level is at its highest when I first start out. I spend hours doing Internet searches, writing cover letters and signing up for networking events all over. Pretty soon, I realize I don’t have time to take a shower. I thought I was having fun! Well, it is usually fun, but if I don’t pace myself, I get burnt out rather quickly.

Even when I’m not actively looking for a job, I try to spend as much time networking as I can. You never know who you could meet and where. It’s important to never close any doors, even when you’re not actively searching. I live in Boston and there are opportunities for networking events practically every night of the week. While it sounds fun and exciting, having to be “on” all the time can get very tiring. Realize that you can’t do it all and pick and choose which events will best suit your career pursuits and your personal schedule. Some events are free, while other can cost upwards of $100 or anywhere in between. Make sure you’re spending your money for the right reasons.

When actively on the quest for a new job, it’s important to create a strategic plan before you begin. Perhaps even a schedule of when you’ll spend a few hours applying, so you don’t get distracted. If you happen to come across an open position, but don’t have time to start applying, send the link to your email and deal with it later. It’s important to prioritize! An organized and conscientious candidate always comes across more appealing than one who is scattered and can’t remember which company to address the cover letter to.

1 comment:

Proper Primer said...

Just know. You have me slightly overwelmed! Thanks. I am a very good job hunter but I also have not yet tried to get a job in my career. (Teaching). That is about to start. I am awesome at the process of resumes and interviews, ect. but am still totally insecure! I have been trying to network as much as possible as well but am at that nickel and diming part where I just want to say, "OK, if I had that extra $40 I wouldn't BE HERE" I think it is great that you are from Boston, I would love to visit Boston!